Monday, February 05, 2007

Shooting the Breeze

The first time I heard the phrase "shooting the breeze" was in the note of a fellow blogger whom I truly admire. He is famous for writing notes revolving around cute phrases, however "shooting the breeze" was not one of the phrases he was talking about, rather he used that line in a sentence. I admit, at first I didn't really know what he meant by it, I had never heard such a phrase-how can one possibly shoot a breeze? Either way, I read that sentence and went on reading the remainder of the note. About a week or so later I was greeted by this line again, only this time it was coming from Dean Allen Kane, the dean of the Jay and Patty Baker School of Business at the Fashion Institute of Technology (i.e. FIT). Anyway, it was the first day of school at around 1:10, I was checking my fan mail-I mean emails, and saw one from the dean (no, I'm not that special, the entire school received the same email). He basically said that since it was the first week of school, he was having open walk-ins in his office from 1-2 everyday the first week, and that we should feel free to stop on by, introduce ourselves and shoot the breeze. Now, just for a little background on Dean Kane-he has been with the college for a year and a half, is a very spiffy dresser, and is quite a dashing gentleman. And what a coincidence, it was between 1 and 2. I headed toward his office. His secretary told me to sit down because he was on the phone-that was my chance to help myself to an "FIT:Where Fashion Gets Down to Business" pin. Within a few minutes, the secretary went in and I heard the Dean exclaim: "A student actually came!!!!" All I'm gonna say is, we shot the breeze-I made him fully aware of the staircase in building A that locks from the inside.
On a different note, not literally(ha ha ha) as we all know, yesterday was super bowl Sunday. Until yesterday, I couldn't follow football, but after having it explained to me in very simple terms, I am now a football fan and can't wait til next season! Usually, there is a lot of hype about the commercials. Back in the day when I didn't understand how the game was played, I too could only look forward to the commercials. Now that I've matured from that stage, I can say that the game is way better than the commercials were this year. The only one that is still stuck in my head is the one on "Connectile Dysfunction"-it was a commercial about slow Internet or something.
This gets me to my third and final thought of the evening. On the Subway they were making fun of the Gieco Gecko with the phrase "Reptile Dysfunction"-it's safe to say that rhyme is getting overdone. But there were some other pretty funny ads on the Subway. So just thought I would share this with those of you who don't use underground mass transit-"Before Bahamavention, I was so white I couldn't wear myself after Labor Day"-featured next to this quite is a photo of some fat, bald pale guy in a short sleeve button down shirt. Gets me every time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home