Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Let's Wok n' Roll

That's right fans-2 notes in 2 days, read em while they're hot. Sorry bout the cheese factor, just I’m procrastinating while writing a paper-which gets me to the topic of today. My paper is actually related to one of my favorite jobs, Anthropologie. I continue to call myself an employee simply because I still get the discount, but who am I kidding-I haven’t worked there since New Year’s Day. As for my paper, the idea is for me to find a private label at Anthro that makes 3 kinds of knit tops; the basic knit top, the fashion knit top and of course, the pattern or print knit top (which I will make reference to by the end of this note). This may sound like an easy task, but at Anthro it is actually quite difficult to find the basic knit, everything is too fun and unique to be basic. As a result I had to walk around the store for about 35 minutes looking inside each knit top too see the brand. Now this is something that would cause concern to the employees, when we see people looking through every single shirt we find it a little suspicious, which is why 20 minutes into my observing, I realized that some guy in the store was following me around. I just wanted to tell him it was a project and that he should lay off, so I asked him if he worked there and perhaps can tell me more about the private labels. When I approached the super muscular man he denied working in the store. My tuchus! What kinda man walks around Anthro alone if he doesn’t work there?
Well onto my next job. Again not a job, an unpaid internship-or, if you will, a job where course credit and the learning experience is my pay. For those of you who don’t know my internship is in wardrobe at The Rachael Ray show. I haven’t really been writing much about it because I’m trying to keep it professional, but to sum up, Triple Ray + Big Al (that’s what she calls me)=BFF. Bottom line. So my job is to do inventory on merchandise that comes in, to buy Ray Ray Ray (Triple Ray) clothing, and to go on set and make sure she looks well put together when we are taping. For example, last week she was wearing a necklace that got tangled-Big Al to the rescue, or this week, there was a thread hanging from her shirt- Big Al saved the day, that’s what I do. This morning I was standing by Rachael’s dressing room accounting some merchandise and Rachael comes out to say hi to Big Al. Now the top I was wearing today(my printed Anthro knit top) has a bow that ties in the front that is made out of some kind of silk and as a result the bow doesn’t always stay in place. Rachael, along with her good eye, picked up on this and said “Big Al, you like bows, right?” of course I like bows! She went ahead and tied it for me, and the bow stayed in place the rest of the day. In my head I interpret it as a version of the Chanukah miracle-call it what you want, but a bow that normally lasts for 2 hours and somehow lasts for a whole day? What’s her secret?
And my last thought of the day, having absolutely nothing to do with the 2 previous ones, let’s take a minute to discuss my thoughts on an all you can eat buffet. Last night I had the privilege of having dinner at Eden Wok with some of the finest people one can ever meet. Here you get a buffet of Chinese and sushi at the low price of $20. Normally, one roll of sushi is around $7 and a serving of Chinese is about $14. So you are really getting a hot deal here because you have a wide range of options here, which is why I can’t understand why someone wouldn’t opt for the buffet. I mean even if he went to a birthday party earlier in the day and ate a lot of good food, I still can’t find a reason why someone would do such a thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home