Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Almost Doesn't Count

So I had an hour and a half to kill the other day while I was waiting for my phone to be fixed at Verizon. So I was walking around Manhattan when I decided to hit up the garment district in hopes of finding a nice fabric to create some garment out of. Then I saw a huge sign "50% off Closing Sale!" So I walked in the store. It was cramped with rolls of fabric lining the walls floor to ceiling, piled on the floor from the front of the store to the back.
The problem with these places is that the people that work there are super annoying and ask you every 2 minutes if they can help you. "No, I am just looking thank you." But they do help you when you actually need help-so at least they are there when you need them, and not only when you don't.
So I am looking around the store at all of the fabrics when in walks the most intriguing man. He was wearing a Fuchsia cotton blazer a striped pink button down shirt, acid washed jeans, and he had his hair stiffly gelled back. Clearly he knew his fabric well by the haste he was picking it out. He also happened to be on the phone and was talking about the show in Milan and the photographers and the girls coming for the show...And I was staring at him-I knew this guy must be a famous fashion designer. So not to look like a complete nerd-I told myself to play it cool and look completely disinterested. So I did. And I casually left a few minutes later after I bought 2 yards of fabric.
A block later I realized how much of an idiot I was that I should have actually stayed and spoke to him...There's always next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home