Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Flight 10:40

When I first started QC, yes, I was the looser first year that carried around a piece of paper with her schedule written on one side and a map on the other-I was that girl that asked where every building was, and I was that girl that ran into her classroom out of breath 5 minutes late. But after three years of Queens College, I learned the ropes and was really excited to help the newbies find their way around.
today was the start of week #2 at FIT. Just to re-cap the events that took place last week;I couldn't find the ladies' room so I held it in until I got a local Gap, I was unaware of the escalator situation so I found myself running up 5 flights of stairs, and I couldn't get into the caf, because you can't "just go into the caf", you have to go through the building, present your ID to the nice security guard, and then go all the way around just to get a bottle of Aquafina. As bad as that may sound, it does not compare to the event that took place today.
I was in my morning class and the kind professor said "It's 10:20, come back at 10:40, and don't be late", excited that I knew how to go to the caf, I darted out of the class. Since I was short on time and clearly too cool to wait for the elevator, I took the stairs, afterall, the stairwell was right outside the classroom. I proceeded to walk through a series of double doors, and happily skipped down 10 flights of stairs(I was based on 5, but they were double flights). Like most stairwells, this was quiet enough for me to hear my echo, there were piles of garbage at each floor which was a little shady, and it had the staircase buzzing sound going on, but that was fine. Because I knew how to get into the caf. When i got to floor 1, I opened the door and it was locked. That's strange, so I went back up to 2. That was also locked. Okay, I thought-I'll just go back up to 5 where I started. It was also locked. Banging wouldn't help because of the double doors, and all I could think about was how bad I would look for taking an extended break. The clock as ticking, I tried to open the door on 6, nothing. I went down to 3 and 4-I thought I was going to be stuck in this staircase the rest of my life. I was picturing the headline "Timid freshman found in staircase". I began calling the 2 friends I actually have in school to see if they can rescue me, not that it would help because I didn't know where I was. As I am frantically on the phone, I see a door that said "emergency exit alarm will sound", I walked through the doors and found myself on a construction site in the middle of 8th avenue. 4 minutes later I was sitting in my seat in class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home